Thursday, April 21, 2011

Unsavory Tragedies...Russell Brooks

About the Book:
Format: Kindle Edition
Sold By: Amazon Digital Services
Lending: Enabled
File Size: 112KB


For fans of Barry Eisler and Robert Ludlum. A three-course story collection with a side-order of revenge.

Crème Brûlée

Rogue operative, Monique Beauvais, cons a software genius into selling her a coveted technology that would allow its user to control CIA drones while they're in flight. And she will go as far as killing him in public in order to have it.

To the Last Bite

A renowned food critic-whose scathing reviews have closed down restaurants-gets a savoury surprise.

Shashlyk and Morezhenoe

CIA operative, Ridley Fox, leads a team against one of Russia's most powerful crime families. He discovers secrets, but not one that he was expecting to find.

Three stories with three consequences. All containing three Unsavory Delicacies.

***Caution*** Readers are strongly advised NOT to eat while reading To The Last Bite.



My Thoughts: 
Unsavory Delicacies, an anthology by Russell Brooks, included style, smarts, suspense, revenge and of course food. Although the book was short, the three stories told of well planned revenge. The first story Creme Brulee, included Ridley Fox, the CIA operative from Brooks' novel Pandora's Succession. This story showed the measures Fox took in trying to gain revenge on the people who murdered his fiancee.  The second story, The Last Bite, showed us the revenge a head chef took on a food critic. After reading this story, I wasn't sure if I was happy I had already eaten lunch or not. The story was captivating but all I could say at the time was, I was warned not to eat while reading. I never usually get queasy, but this story had me a bit queasy. The third story, Shashlyk and Morozhenoe, also included Fox and a Russian mob boss. Again, we see Fox going through any measure, including risking his life, to get back at the murderers of his fiancee.  Although I didn't find tis story as suspenseful as the first two, the dialog was great.

For me, Unsavory Delicacies is a great introduction to Brooks' writing. He is able to paint a great picture with great imagery.
You can find Unsavory Delicacies at the following links:

DISCLAIMER: I was in no way compensated to review this book. These are my opinions of a book in which I asked to review by the author.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. I warned you NOT to eat before reading this.

    Russell Brooks
    Author of Pandora's Succession

    ReplyDelete